Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Unexpected Doctor Visit

It's funny how this little one can make me crazy.... I haven't even met her and I am constantly worried about her safety.

Some background:

Yesterday I started having some intense abdominal and back pain around 4pm. It was so bad that I was having a hard time walking or moving around... I even had Stephen take off my shoes because I couldn't bend down to get them off. (Great time to be wearing boots huh?!) Anyway, when I finally got home from work I went to bed immediately. I decided not to go to the ER because I could still feel Annabelle kicking and she was pretty active while I was lying down. The next morning, the pain was much less intense, almost gone. Thank goodness.

Here is where the pregnant paranoia kicked in...

I got up and got ready for work this morning just like normal. I even had a bowl of cereal and my usual glass of orange juice just before I got in my car to drive to work. Normally, I start feeling the baby kick about 20 minutes after I finish my glass of OJ (she really likes it) but today I felt nothing. As a matter of fact I didn't feel any movement at all by 10:30am. I started to worry and called the DR's office to get some advice but no one returned my call. An hour passed and I still hadn't felt any movement. I was worried that the abdominal pain had something to do with the baby not moving so I decided that I needed to go see the doctor immediately. So, I left the office drove all the way back to Dallas to my OB's office. (Luckily the medical assistant called me back while I was driving back to Dallas so she helped me get into see the Dr at the last minute). My regular OB was not on call today so I saw her partner. She was awesome. Got me right in and helped me immediately.

The Results:

The baby is fine. The heartbeat was 144 and the DR ran a couple tests to make sure that I wasn't going into preterm labor. She even had me go downstairs to Labor and Delivery to get the baby monitored for a half an hour just to double check everything was fine and there were no contractions. I am dehydrated and she thinks that is why I was having abdominal pain.

So...after all that.....I might be paranoid but I am still glad that I went to see the doctor today. When I heard Annabelle's heartbeat I almost cried I was so relieved. I guess this is just the beginning of what will be many, many times I worry about our little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment