Thursday, September 6, 2012

1 out of 3... Not Bad

Annabelle likes the rice box so much that I decided to research additional sensory experiences. So, this week I tried 3 different experiments.

First, since it is still SCORCHING hot here, I decided to try a water and ice sensory experience. It was pretty simple- I just had two plastic containers. One was filled with luke warm water, the other had a bunch of ice cubes. I added baby oil and glitter (everything is better with glitter, right?) to the ice and let her go at it. It was a FAIL. Annabelle was not at all interested in playing with the water or ice. In fact, almost immediately she turned the ice container over and the whole thing was over in about 3 minutes.
For the second experiment I cooked spaghetti noodles and put them in a big aluminum container. I added some color to make it a little more appealing and headed outside to play. Annabelle was mildly entertained. She put her hands in and squished around for a minute and then took some out and put it on the floor. Then she walked around with some noodles in her hand only to drop them on plants in our front yard. Ha!

Today, I decided to make it really simple. I grabbed shaving cream,  a cookie sheet, paint brushes and food coloring. I wanted to make a little note from A to her Dad so this project had an artistic edge to it. What happened: I put a thin layer of shaving cream on the cookie sheet. Sprinkled a few drops of food coloring on top of the shaving cream. I gave A the paint brushes and showed her how to swirl the colors around. She loved it! After she had swirled I transferred the design onto a piece of white paper and let it dry. The design stayed on the paper and I wiped the shaving cream right off. Meanwhile A kept on playing by putting her hands in the shaving cream and using her paint brush. Fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment