Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mommy Fail

Go ahead and judge.... Annabelle is 2.5 years old and she still uses a pacifier at bedtime. I could give you a million reasons why up to now it just hasn't been the right time to break her of the beloved habit; potty training, news of baby brother, transition to big girl room. Blah blah, blah.

I know its bad.

There has been a lot of jumping from one big change to another lately but I think sentimental reasons and convenience are the culprits behind my lack of enthusiasm to break A's connection to her paci. Humor me because my little baby has all of a sudden transitioned into this adorable "big girl." In my head this is her last tangible baby thing that connects her to the sweet time in her life (and mine) when she was helpless and needed me all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love that she is becoming more and more independent as the time passes. She can do so many things on her own and carry on a conversation with you. It is wonderful! But those sweet baby days are gone and I can't get that time back.

So, that is the sentimental reason.

The second reason is convenience. It is difficult to get Annabelle to sleep without a paci especially in her new big girl bed. I think it serves as a mental trigger for her. If she doesn't have it, she talks to herself, wanders out of bed and is generally not interested in sleeping at all. I do find her talking, singing and "reading" very amusing while she winds down at night but when it goes on for hours......

This is where I went wrong last night.

If you can believe it, Annabelle voluntarily gave up her paci after Stephen sweetly convinced her that she didn't need it anymore. She even went and put her paci in baby Ethan's crib! SO SWEET! I was willing, too. Didn't object even though I was skeptical. We went about our nightly routine. Annabelle climbed in bed and we read books. After that I said goodnight and turned out the lights. I go down the hall to have dinner with Stephen.

About 5 minutes later, Annabelle is up "I have to go to the potty." We go to the potty then she gets back in bed.

10 minutes later, Annabelle is out of bed reading books. I tell her to get back in bed. She refuses. (AWESOME)

For the next 30 minutes I sit in the room with her hoping to calm her down. Doesn't work.

Tag team... Stephen comes in A's room. He is there sitting with her for another 30 minutes or so. He creeps out when he thinks she is asleep.... She is not asleep.

10 minutes later she is up playing blocks. I tell her to get back in bed. I sing a song or two to help calm her down. Doesn't work. I ask if she wants to come lay down in our bed. (This is a bad idea, and I know it but I will try anything at this point).

In our bed for about 30 minutes. She doesn't calm down. She sings and talks to her baby. I am laughing. Not helping.

She asks to go back into her room. I go with her.

Back into her bed for about 20 more minutes. Still talking and singing. Wants to play. I am exhausted. The floor is hard and I have heartburn.

INSERT MOMMY FAIL: I go get the paci from Ethan's crib and give it to her.

She is asleep in 5 minutes.

We will try again this weekend........

:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment